Wednesday, September 21, 2016

End of an Era


Sipsey Street Irregulars is closing down. [More]

It's sad news, but not unexpected, and unavoidable, really. Without going into details I am not at liberty to share, I support Matthew in his decision to pull the plug.

I was not only there for the birth of the blog, I'm the one who badgered Mike into starting it. We collaborated closely throughout on stories and developments that only time will tell how much of a difference was made. My opinion is he did great work there that deserves a place in the national memory as long as the nation exists to remember.

For the present, the archive should remain.  I do not know how long Blogspot will allow it to remain with no update activity -- perhaps as long as visitors come.

UPDATE: Several of you contacting me are, as Mike used to say, "leaping to illusions." This much I can tell you: Matt's decision was not because he was being pressured or intimidated. And don't buy into the creeping disinformation, posted by people who flat out don't know what they're talking about, for reasons only they can say.

12 comments:

j said...

your own work is also appreciated greatly, as is your dedication. I am advising everyone to download as many SSI archives as they can, pref. to a zip drive or whatever, in case it gets wiped "you mean, like, with a rag or a cloth?" by anyone among the PTB, as it has long been a thorn in the side to some.
God bless you, David, and may God be with us all.

wirecutter said...

I'm sorry to see it go, but I'll respect his decision.

skybill said...

Hi Dave,
'One Hell of a Note!!! The blog may come to a halt but the memory goes on! There is much to do and no time to waste.....our Enemy never sleeps and we can't either......
Audentes, Fortuna, Juvat,
(I know it should be "IVAT" but I think it was a typo...but the "J" stuck!!)
GOT GUNZ........OUTLAW!!!!!!,
III%,
skybill-standing by

Bob Mueller said...

Quick research suggests that it should stay online unless deliberately deleted or Blogger/Blogspot shuts down.

Anyone considered saving an archive, and perhaps publishing the posts in dead-tree edition? The latter isn't easy, but might be worthwhile.

Grace and peace.

Tom Skoch said...

God bless Matt, God bless Mike and God help the rest of us now. Sipsey Street is more than a blog that ends, it's a state of mind we all need to perpetuate.

Anonymous said...

I met the Vanderboegh's a few weeks before Mike's untimely death. Matthew left a good first impression, and did excellent work at Sipsey. He is his father's son, perhaps more than even he realizes. I hope we haven't heard the last of him. America needs his voice - and yours too, David.

Prayers for the Vanderboegh's,

III N TN

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to see it go but I respect Matt's decision. I agree that it should be archived in some way...

kagalaska said...

and what will come of absolved

James said...

Thanks for the good reads and works Sypsey,miss Mike and wish Matt and his family the best in the future along with all who have been there,James

Anonymous said...

It may be the end of an era but the legacy you Mike and Matt have given us will live on as long as red blood runs through an American's veins.

Thanks all for your efforts and sacrifice.. Godspeed

Yank

Unknown said...

God Bless you and Matt, and Mike. I hope it doesn't disappear. It always gave me something to think about and learn

Anonymous said...

I'll always think about you and Mike breaking Operation Gunwalker.

IF Sipsey could be put into book, or e-book form, the proceeds could benefit Mike's wife?